NCIG is creating a national Indigenous genomics resource available to researchers for projects that offer potential benefits to Indigenous Australians.
The NCIG research resource is being created from:
- DNA sequencing of a remarkable legacy collection of biological material (mostly blood) collected from Indigenous Australians and held by the ANU since the 1960s, and new material (mostly saliva, and some blood)
- a body of historical documents generated in the course of the original fieldwork and the subsequent studies.
The NCIG resource includes:
- a reference genome
- population reference panels
- a successful model for research engagement with Indigenous Australians
- a dynamic consent platform